Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Shopping Our Stash - Favorite Technique - Fabric Banner - Staining/Stenciling on Muslin


Hello, Crafty Peeples
This post is a continuation of my effort to put up projects that were interrupted by a recent illness.  You can see the Subway Art Mini Album HERE
I totally missed the DT deadlines, but thought the projects were fun and worth sharing.  I was not happy with the project when I added the embellishments, so I am posting this picture of the design before I messed it up.  When I get to the end, I may...share my disaster.  We'll see.
Added  to all that is my now deeper understanding of just what "suffering for your art" truly means. It would be a dishonor my to my aching hands if I did not post these projects.   I should tell my neurologist that I will never need a physical therapist, just a DT and a deadline.  These muscles were made for crafting!

DISTRESS STAINED AND STENCILED FABRIC BANNER
The Technique I am showcasing here  I learned at Tammy Tutterow's Blog.  You can find her project details here.

1. CUT A LARGE SWATCH OF MUSLIN AND MOISTEN WELL WITH WATER.
 Bleached or unbleached is fine.  As Tammy suggests on her blog, I always cut fabric larger than my intended project.  Two benefits are derived from this, first, when your fabric has been stained/dyed, you will be able to select the best location to place your banner template and, the leftover material can be used on future projects.  This is particularly true for me since I tend to work in the same color families most of the time.

2.  SPRAY FABRIC WITH YOUR CHOSEN DISTRESS INKS. CRUMPLE FABRIC TO BLEED COLORS.  SQUEEZE OUT ANY EXCESS WATER.
Mess around with this until you achieve the color profile you desire. The fun part of TH/DI is that they are so reactive with water and you can play about with them freely. 

3.  ALLOW FABRIC TO AIR DRY!  
Don't be impatient.  The result will be worth the wait!
I added additional color uisng acrylic paint after my fabric was dry.  I also added a little of TH White Distress Paint to my fabric.


 4.  Using the Art Banner Template provided by Tammy Tutterow, you can find template here, TRACE THE PATTERN ONTO YOUR COLORED FABRIC.
I cheated.  I glued the pattern to piece of cereal box and used the template to cut my fabric. 


5. ATTACH FABRC TO A PIECE OF COTTON BATTING.
Tammy uses Phoomph, but I did not have any, so I attached my fabric to a piece of cotton batting.  CUT THE BATTING WITH PINKING SHEARS.  BATTING SHOULD BE SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN THE FABRIC.


5.  ALLOW FABRIC ADHESIVE TO DRY.  SELECT THE STENCIL DESIGN YOU WISH TO USE ON YOUR PROJECT.  USE A TIM HOLTZ DISTRESS MARKER TO TRACE THE INSIDE EDGES OF YOUR STENCIL.  EMBELLISH PROJECT AS DESIRED.
I used distress markers to add color to my leaves and branches.  Next time I plan to use a different stencil.

I did not like my final design and decided NOT to post it here.  I may post the rework at a later date. I hope you will give the technique a try.

Hugz,
Chana




5 comments:

  1. Your projects make me TIRED! I definitely do NOT have the patience that you do. Love the look of that fabric, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leslie! It's funny, because your project always make me ask myself, "why can't I do that?" I guess that offically makes us artists! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way those distress inks melted into the weave of the fabric! It's very pretty! I always have a hard time knowing what to do with distress backgrounds because I love them so much all on their own. It seems a shame to cover them up with "stuff." Glad you are back in the studio! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice Chana and thanks for sharing the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just beautiful. Love the autumn feel to it and the sparkly touches.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate it! I try to reciprocate and visit your blogs. If I don't get to you right away, please know that I am on my way there to thank you for your visit.
Happy Crafting!
Hugz,
Chana